Thursday, October 25, 2018

October 24, 2018 - Mahigugmaong Amahan ug Imahan

Mahigugmaong Amahan ug Imahan,

I can't even begin to express how amazing it feels to be here in the Philippines. One reason is because I still feel a little numb and I'm still a little sheltered in the MTC.  Honestly though, I feel like I'm exactly where I should be right now, which is a very good feeling. 

We had a long trip from Provo to Manila.  Elder Bennett was assigned to be travel leader and we had a few Elders go missing. We looked for them for about an hour until we gave up and returned to out gate.  They were there waiting for us, awesome. It turns out they had done the one thing that we had expected them not to do, that is, leave Terminal 2 entirely and come back through TB, back through TSA  and everything. That was pretty fun. With the help of drugs, I slept through a lot of the flight to Manila. And the bus ride to the MTC was as eventful as you might expect in a country with no driving laws. We arrived at the MTC and were almost immediately assigned new companions. I'm now companions with Elder Jackson for this week.

The pictures and videos will do all of that more justice than I can with words I think.

The people here are just wonderful. I really haven't met too many people but I can feel their sweet spirits. We met a lady today who has 3 world records and 6 gold medals in power-lifting for her age group. Mom, if you have that picture, she's the beautiful, aged Filipino lady next to Elder Jackson. The temple is beautiful of course.  The air here is thick with oxygen, and you can feel in it the work that God is doing in the Philippines. It's an incredible place. These are incredible people. This is incredible work. 

In Bisaya, they use two different words for "to know". Kahibalo is "to know in head". Nasayud is "to know in heart". To say something like, "I know in my heart that", is "Nasayud ko nga". 

Nasayud ko nga this is Gods work and His Glory.  Cebu East is where He is sending His servant, Elder Chan, to be His messenger of this Good News. He has prepared a way for His children to be gathered and brought back to the fold.  He loves each one of His children, because they are His children.  He desires all His children to return to him. 

The Philippine air is sweet, the Filipinos are sweeter. 

Love,
Elder Chan



** Next Email

No Photos this week.  

Can't access Drive or Photos on this computer. Sorry.

Love,
Elder Chan



**  An email we received from the member Elder Chan met at the temple

Hello from Manila-

Hi,

Just wanted to drop you a note. I met your son today at the temple. He’s doing great. He is happy and excited to be here. As I’m sure you already know.

My family and I have lived here just south of Manila for over 3 years. We have 4 kids, 3 boys and 1 girl. We keep extending our contract we love it that much.

He will love it here too. The people are incredible. Humble, kind and beautiful.

I just wanted to say thank you for raising a good young man who was able to come here and will make a difference. I know it’s extremely difficult but as someone who sees the difference these missionaries make, it means a lot. 

Have the best day and know he is doing amazing.

Hugs,

Jennise Lamb



No comments:

Post a Comment